12 Jun 2009

Bahasa Inggeris MESTI lulus?

Catatan berbahasa inggeris ini saya perolehi daripada sebuah blog melalui rakan blog saya yang lain. Catatan penuh sila klik di sini.

When I read yesterday about the DPM's desire to make English a must pass subject at the SPM level, I thought, I should not comment yet. Lets listen to what others have to say. Then I thought, "Oh, what the heck".

I have been a teacher of English language since 1977. I have taught in various non-elite schools for the pass 32 years. When I first taught English we used the structural syllabus then we used the communicative syllabus.

I have seen the standard of English deteriorate from year to year. I had all the time wondered, with this deterioration, where would we be able to find competent teachers of the English language to teach the subject? As it is right now, we still have teachers from the old school teaching English but, we, meaning yours sincerely included, are now in our mid-fifties.

Let me relate one experience. A few years back, I was in the canteen and in came a trainee. I struck up a conversation with him and found that his English was passable for conversation sake. So what's the big deal? Don't all young ones, or most of them, speak less than perfect English?

The answer is yes. So no big deal here but it became a big deal to me on that day when the teacher told me that his option was English. Now here you have someone who spoke foul English, a mere 8 weeks short of his posting as an English teacher.....

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan